Post Title: Personal Injury Paralegal
Service Area: Personal Injury- Pre-Litigation
Team: Personal Injury Department
Employer: AMT Lawyers
Salary Grade: £16,000-£20,000 (dependant on experience)
Post Reports to: Head of Private Client Services
Post Responsible for: RTA Pre-Litigation within the Personal Injury Department
A brilliant opportunity has arisen within our Personal Injury department. As a result of continued growth, we wish to recruit personal injury fee earners into our Personal Injury department. This is a great opportunity to join a prestigious personal injury department which continues to grow despite the effects of the recent reforms to the personal injury law and market.
The ideal candidate will have experience of managing their own volume case load of claimant Fast Track RTA personal injury claims, comprising of pre-litigated matters.
We also seek general qualities in our fee earners that we believe play a vital role in the performance of fee earning. We will look for you to be a robust negotiator with excellent communication and time management skills whilst being totally customer focused throughout the entire claims process. It is preferred that you have experience of working on a case management system and are used to working towards targets, including financial targets.
You will report to the RTA Team Leader who will review your performance each month on a one-to-one basis. This provides a real opportunity to monitor and enhance your personal development and to organise your case load. For the right individual, this is also an opportunity to take on a more challenging role. The post available will eventually include a supervisory role to manage and support the RTA Department. Therefore, the candidate must also have excellent management skills or the ability to develop these skills effectively.
For those Candidates who have successfully completed the Legal Practice Course, AMT Lawyers have an excellent track record of rewarding their team with training contracts in order to develop and progress the careers of their team. This is dependent on the level of experience and also the commitment shown by the team member.
Your main responsibilities will be to progress claimant personal injury RTA claims from inception through to completion. This role would suit any candidate with at least six months’ experience.
At AMT Lawyers we understand that graduates and non-graduates do not all have experience and therefore we are willing to take on individuals who are eager to learn and strive towards success. Training will be given to candidates without experience. The firm will consider paralegals and fee earners in order to strengthen its team.
To work positively and inclusively with colleagues and customers so that AMT Lawyers provide a quality service and additionally to deliver services that do not discriminate against people on the ground of their age, sexuality, religion or belief, race, gender or disabilities.
To fulfill personal requirements, where appropriate, with regard to AMT Lawyers policies and procedures, health, safety and welfare, customer care, emergency, evacuation, security and promotion of the firm’s priorities. Maintaining and upholding the firm’s reputation whilst dealing with all aspects of the role.
To work flexibly in the interests of the service. This may include undertaking other duties provided that these are appropriate to the employee’s background, skills and abilities. Where this occurs there will be consultation with the employee and any necessary personal development will be taken into account.
1. Problem Solving/Creativity/maintaining standards
· Respond to issues requiring a good understanding of work-area policies and procedures.
· Resolves complex problems in a thorough and timely manner; use discretion and know who to go to in order to resolve issues and complete tasks.
· Take a moderate level of accountability in the delivery of services offered by AMT Lawyers.
· Analyse and interpret a variety of situations and determine the most appropriate course of action.
· Use appropriate tools available to undertake the task as efficiently as possible
· Use relevant information from various sources to solve problems that impact own work area
· Update manuals/procedures and provide training to paralegals where appropriate
· Prioritise work, taking into account own work area and needs of other work areas
· Work as part of a team understanding and focusing on how the role supports the team’s and department’s priorities
· Work with colleagues to co-ordinate, develop, improve and work to Lexcel standards.
2. Responsibility and accountability
• Responsible for the receipt and acknowledgment of queries with appropriate tracking and response
• Responsible for prioritising work
• Responsible for supporting others.
• Interpret and communicate established processes and procedures to a range of audiences
• Convey information/advice to others that can be complex in nature and oversee implementation of any action
• Share information, verbally and in writing, in a clear and concise manner.
• Tailor communication to different audiences and clients.
4. Decision Making
• Obtain necessary level of information to inform decision making guided by general instructions and practices requiring interpretation.
• Articulate when necessary how decisions have been reached
• Provide advice and feedback to support other’s decision making
• Automatically make decisions on routine issues
• Follow departmental procedures.
• Exercise confidentiality in relation to personal and sensitive information based on AMT Lawyers policy and procedures.
5. Knowledge & Skill
• Detailed knowledge and understanding of own work area and how it impacts wider operations within AMT Lawyers.
• Ability to use the appropriate system in place applicable in the service area with specific support and training
• Keep up to date with issues relating to the work of the team and department
• Proactively research information from a range of different sources, internally and externally to help inform own knowledge to benefit the work of the team.
• Develop expertise in a range of areas and practice within the firm.
• Personal Health and Safety in the workplace
6. Risk management
• Understands the risks associated with the nature of the service you are supporting and identifies areas of concern, taking any initial remedial action and raising these appropriately with the head of department and partner.
7. Innovation and Flexibility
• Ability to transfer skills to a range of service areas with specific support and knowledge available.
• Ability to pick up variance in approaches within specific support and knowledge provided.
• Ability to consider better ways of delivering support, communicating this as a proposed change